About one in ten people are afraid to fly. This can stand in the way of many enjoyable vacations and business opportunities. If you’re in this statistic, too, you might avoid flying completely. Or, maybe you reach for medication, or a glass of wine to make it to your final destination. But there are many other ways to get through your flying fears, and hypnosis is one of them. Read more for how to overcome fear of flying.
Hypnosis and Fear of Flying
Your brain doesn’t know the difference between a real threat and an imaginary one. You may believe many scary things about flying. Even if these ideas are untrue, you may still feel afraid because of these ideas.
When you feel unnatural fear, these fears override your conscious mind. But there is natural help in hypnosis.
Hypnosis does two important things for learned fears like this. First, hypnosis allows you to observe the conscious beliefs you have about flying. More importantly, hypnosis is how you move past your conscious mind, and enter your subconscious mind, where your fears are stored.
When you meet with your hypnotist, you first discuss your unnatural fears surrounding flying. With your hypnotist’s help, you’ll discover underlying beliefs that keep these fears alive and strong. Then, your hypnotist assists you in entering a deep state of relaxation. While in this highly relaxed state, he or she can help you remove long-held beliefs that keep your fears alive.
When you explore what’s in your subconscious mind, you don’t just remove negative, limiting beliefs. You begin to replace them with positive, affirmative and confident thoughts instead.
How to Overcome Fear of Flying with Hypnosis
If you are afraid to fly, it’s a good idea to start addressing your fear as soon as possible. This way, you are well-prepared for your upcoming flight. Take time to meet with your hypnotist a couple months before your trip. This way, you can begin replacing negative thoughts from your subconscious mind. Plus, you can learn self-hypnosis and feel more and more comfortable leading up to the flight.
A Positive Mindset Is How to Overcome Fear of Flying
In your hypnosis session, your coach helps you recognize what is emotionally driving your flying fears. Instead of focusing on these fears, you start to focus on positive beliefs instead. One way to do this is through visualizations. This is something you can do both in your hypnosis session, and on your own.
For example, you can imagine your plane landing safely. You can see yourself calm and relaxed on the plane. Or, you can imagine how happy you are in your new destination.
You can also say positive, affirmative mantra’s. Here are some examples to get you started. Feel free to create your own with the help of your hypnotist to best match your particular fears and situation.
- I am amazed at how easy flying is.
- I am comfortable and at ease when I fly.
- I am having a wonderful trip.
- I am enjoying my travel experience from start to finish.
- I feel calm in times of turbulence.
- Taking off / landing is a breeze for me.
How to Overcome Fear of Flying with Easy Tips
Sometimes, your fear of flying can be at its worse before you step onto the plane. Here are some simple strategies to keep you smooth sailing once you’re on board.
- Self-Hypnosis: Your hypnotist can show you how to confidently relax into a comfortable mental state of hypnosis on your own. This is something you can do right there on the plane. This can help keep any imagined fears or anxious feelngs at bay.
- Healthy Distractions: If you like to read, save your favorite, unread books for your flight. This gives you something to look forward to. Plus, it’s a nice distraction from any discomfort you have while flying. The same goes for movies and music.
- Mindful Breathing: There are many wonderful breathing techniques available to calm your body and mind. Ask your hypnotist for recommendations.
- Herbal Teas: Some herbal teas have calming and soothing properties. Bring your own and enjoy these relaxing elixirs on the go.
- Fact Check: Ask yourself what you’re specifically afraid of when it comes to flying. Now, do a little research to learn the facts and see the statistics. This logical approach can quell ungrounded fears.
- Essential Oils: Lavender, chamomile, frankincense and rose are just some of the oils that support many people who deal with fear of flying.
Your fear of flying can be a thing of the past instead of being something keeping you from enjoying life to its fullest. You can lessen and even remove your unnatural fears with hypnosis and other easy strategies. Bon voyage!